index | search
SUGAWARA NO MICHIZANE
- The spirit of the slandered scholar and statesman SUGAWARA NO MICHIZANE died in exile at Dazaifu in 903.
- Michizane became the patron of scholarship and calligraphy.
- He was revered as the god of learning.
- He became a leading member of the court, thanks to his brilliant scholarly achievements, but he ran afoul of the powerful Fujiwara family, who werejealous of his abilities.
- In 901 they succeeded in getting him exiled to Kyushu.
- He was separated from his wife and many children, and set off on the long journey from Kyoto with only two small children and single disciple to accompany him.