- Komyozenji Temple was built in the Kamakura period in connection with the "Tenjin-Crossing-Over-To-China" legend.
- There was a belief in the Middle Ages that the "Tenjin" Deity had gone to Tang China to study Zen.
- During the Kamakura period (1185-1333) the Dazaifu government office survived in name only, but the town prospered.
- Dazaifu was center for Japan's defense against the MONGOL INVASIONS OF JAPAN in the 13th century.
- In 1274 and 1281 the Mongol invasions were staged.
- Some of the enemy soldiers managed to get ashore in the first attack, but they were driven back to the ships by the Japanese defenders.
- During the second invasion the Mongol fleet was struck by the famous kamikaze, the "divine wind" that scattered the ships and saved Japan.